To paraphrase many wise and successful men throughout history, “We get [or become] whatever we think about most.” Our mind and its thoughts, without a doubt, create our reality. So too do your habits create your thoughts.
Even if you’ve been stuck in a rut of negativity and failure, you can begin by focusing on the positive, and simple, habits in this article. You’ll surely pave the way for positive thought; which will be the catalyst for even more positive action. Pretty soon it will become a not-so-vicious cycle.
Here are 6 simple habits that changed my life and helped me begin to achieve my dreams:
1) Keep a “Grateful” Journal. Being thankful for what we already have is the surest way to get more. I practice this every night, just before bed, by writing down a handful of things that I was thankful for that day. This helps get me into a relaxed, positive mindset, and readies my body for sleep. I also keep this list in mind all day; constantly remembering how much I have to be thankful for.
2) Healthy “Consumption”. This applies to several things. First, you already know that a healthy diet is important. Eating the right foods will keep your body in balance, allow your brain to function properly, and keep you feeling good. Certain modern food additives have even been linked to anxiety, depression, and ADHD. Eat natural foods instead.
However, food is not the only thing we consume. Your eyes and ears are feeding your brain all of the time. Be careful what you watch on television and what songs you listen to on the radio. Surround yourself with positive people and put yourself in positive places. Garbage in = garbage out, so take care to fill yourself to overflowing with positive consumption.
3) Read daily. Reading, even if it’s only a page at a time, will keep your mind in a positive state. It’s also another great source of positive input. Try reading biographies or autobiographies about people who have/have done whatever you want to do. Read theology or philosophy. Read educational books about your career field. Read whatever makes you happy.
4) Track your progress. Monitoring your progress in any pursuit can help you find out what’s working and what isn’t. It can also be very encouraging to watch things get better in black and white. Make charts or graphs. Update and check them daily.
5) Plan your day the night before. This will make you feel organized and confident before your day even starts. I like to write a to-do list each night, just before I do my grateful journal. You’ll forget less, be on time more, and reduce stress.
6) Start your day right. Get things started in a positive direction right away, and never look back. First, get out of bed immediately when you wake up, and start the day with enthusiasm. Next, get your morning chores done ASAP and start to feel like you’re getting things accomplished for the day. The morning is also a great time for your reading or some meditation/prayer. Just start the positive flow going.
— So those are my favorite 6 daily habits. Use them and invent some of your own. Just practice mindfulness, stay positive, and be present. You’ll be amazed how great life can be RIGHT NOW.